- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
J.J. Abrams wants you to make the next great Star Wars movie.
Well, not the next one that’ll be released in theaters, obviously — those particular vacancies have been filled by Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson. But Abrams is part of the announcement video for the 2016 Star Wars Fan Film Awards, which once again sees Lucasfilm invite fans and amateur filmmakers to submit their work for the chance to win a commemorative trophy, limited edition signed Star Wars concept art, Star Wars merchandise and, of course, the acclaim of their peers.
Categories open include Best Comedy, Best Animation, Best Non-Fiction, Best Visual Effects, Spirit of Fandom and Audience Choice, with winners being announced during Star Wars Celebration 2016, being held at the Excel London Exhibition Centre on July 15-17.
The Star Wars Fan Film Awards were launched by Lucasfilm in 2002 and initially ran until its official cancellation announcement in 2012, inviting fans to share their visions of events in a galaxy far, far away. The contest was reactivated in 2014, with last year’s awards being the first to be presented in four years.
More information can be found on the official Star Wars Fan Film Awards portal. Submissions are open until April 24.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day