- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Rooney Mara is attached to play the titular role in the film, which has a script by Helen Edmundson and Philippa Goslett. The biopic is being produced by The King’s Speech producer See-Saw Films.
Sources say it’s early in talks for Phoenix, and the deal could still fall apart, especially if there’s scheduling issues.
The project, backed by Universal Pictures International Productions, was first announced last month and is set to be an “authentic and humanistic portrait” of one of the most enigmatic and misunderstood spiritual figures in history.
The Weinstein Co. will release the film domestically.
Phoenix is known for his ability to disappear into a part, and has previously played well-known figures like Johnny Cash in the critically acclaimed Walk the Line. His recent film include Spike Jonze’s Her, Paul Thomas Anderson’s Inherent Vice and Woody Allen’s Irrational Man. He’s repped by WME and Sloane Offer.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day