- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Joaquin Phoenix is in negotiations to star in Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange.
It’s unclear if the actor will accept the role, but a source confirms to The Hollywood Reporter that the deal is further along than just the offer stage, as has been reported.
Scott Derrickson is directing the Marvel feature about the former neurosurgeon who serves as the Sorcerer Supreme — the primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats. Doctor Strange, who made his first appearance in the Marvel Universe more than 50 years ago, was first created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in the pages of Strange Tales No. 110.
If the deal closes, it would be an unusual move for Phoenix, who in recent years has worked primarily with auteurs such as Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Jonze and has steered clear of broad commercial fare.
Jon Spaihts is writing the script. Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer wrote earlier drafts.
Marvel declined to comment.
Phoenix is repped by WME and attorney David Weber.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day