- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Joe Carnahan is in negotiations to direct Sugar Bandits, Universal’s adaptation of the Chuck Hogan novel Devils in Exile.
Marc Shmuger and Tom McNulty are producing via their Global Produce shingle. Richard Abate is executive producing.
PHOTOS: 11 Biggest Book-to-Big Screen Adaptations of the Last 25 Years
Hogan, who wrote the novel Ben Affleck‘s The Town was based on and co-authored The Strain with Guillermo del Toro, wrote the script adapting his own work, which centers on Iraq War vet Neal Maven, who is facing dead-end jobs and small futures in Boston. He and some other soldiers team up in a scheme to rip off local drug dealers, destroying the product and grabbing their money.
The book was published by Scribner in 2010.
Carnahan has made a career directing such gritty thrillers as Narc and Smokin’ Aces and most recently helmed the surprise 2011 hit adventure movie The Grey. He was developing a remake of the revenge thriller Death Wish at Paramount but parted ways after clashing over casting.
Carnahan is repped by CAA and Bloom Hergott.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day