- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The duo are set to star in an action-thriller from Need for Speed director Scott Waugh, with Cena replacing Sylvester Stallone, who was previously attached to star alongside Chan.
The movie centers on a Chinese private security contractor (Chan) who is called in to extract the oil workers when a China-run oil refinery in the Middle East is attacked. When he learns that the attackers’ real plan is to steal a fortune in oil, he teams up with an American — a former Marine, played by Cena — to stop them.
Chan will also produce Project X (a working title), along with Joe Tam, Esmond Ren and Hans Canosa. Arash Amel wrote the screenplay.
Cena, repped by ICM, is becoming a reliable go-to action star. He will next be seen in the Transformers‘ spinoff Bumblebee and Universal’s The Jason Directive, which will be produced by Dwayne Johnson.
Chan was last seen stateside in STX’s Chinese co-production The Foreigner and is attached to a fourth Rush Hour film and a Shanghai Noon sequel. He is repped by CAA and Bloom Hergott.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day