- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Cristal Pictures has acquired an original pitch from John Wick screenwriter Derek Kolstad for an action-thriller titled The Steward.
While the plot for the project is being kept under wraps, it is being planned as a first installment of a potential franchise with worldwide appeal. Cristal, which is backed by China’s East Light Media, will fully finance and produce the feature.
The pitch was brought to Cristal by EVP of production Nick D’Angelo, who acquired it in an aggressive pre-emptive bid.
Kolstad recently signed on to pen the third installment in the Lionsgate franchise, which stars Keanu Reeves as a retired assassin. John Wick 2, which came out in February of this year, grossed $166 million at the global box office. Kolstad is repped by APA, Circle of Confusion and Behr Abramson.
Cristal Pictures is gearing up for the release the action-comedy Hitman’s Bodyguard, which stars Ryan Reynolds and Sam Jackson.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day