- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The next piece of the John Wick universe is falling into place.
Filmmaker Len Wiseman is coming on board to direct the spinoff Ballerina, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Plot details are being kept in a safe in the Continental Hotel, but the film centers a female assassin.
The script comes from Shay Hatten, who sold the pitch to Lionsgate in 2017 at the age of 23. He penned the story on nights and weekends while working as an assistant at Robert Downey Jr.’s Team Downey, and since then has gone on to earn writing credits on Zack Snyder’s upcoming Netflix zombie movie Army of the Dead and this year’s John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum, the latest entry in the Keanu Reeves-led franchise that also happened to introduce a ballet academy to the universe.
Basil Iwanyk, Erica Lee and John Wick filmmaker Chad Stahelski will produce Ballerina. Reeves will executive produce, with James Myers overseeing for Lionsgate.
Parabellum earned $323 million globally, and the studio is currently working on a fourth John Wick installment, due out in 2021.
Wiseman, who is known for the Underworld franchise and helming Live Free or Die Hard, is repped by CAA. Hatten is with Lee Stobby Entertainment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day