- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The long-in-the works project just made an offer to Johnny Depp for one of the four lead roles after losing Will Smith, who was previously attached but fell out due to commitments to his New Line drama Collateral Beauty.
Tom Hanks remains attached but his involvement is seen as shaky at this stage.
J.C. Chandor is in the director’s chair for the pic, which takes its name from the border zone between Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, one of the world’s largest havens for organized crime.
The project has been in the works since at least 2009 and was once a vehicle for Kathryn Bigelow.
Atlas Entertainment is producing.
It is unclear whether Depp, most recently seen in Black Mass, will enter negotiations for the part. Paramount had no comment on the casting developments.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Locarno Film Festival
We Cry Together