- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing with Leto a stand-alone project and is currently out to writers for a take, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Leto would star and executive produce the solo pic that is set in the Suicide Squad universe.
Suicide Squad was directed by David Ayer and featured an array of DC villains as antiheroes. The movie, which grossed $746 million worldwide, starred Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Leto, among others.
This is the latest DC movie project being developed by Warners that is focusing on Joker and other villains. The studio is already developing a so-called Joker origins movie, which would be directed by Todd Phillips and would potentially star Joaquin Phoenix.
At the same time, Warners is also developing several projects that would star or feature Harley Quinn, the character played by Robbie. One of those is a Joker/Quinn two-hander. Warner Bros. currently has three upcoming DC movies on the calendar: December’s Aquaman, April 2019’s Shazam! and November 2019’s Wonder Woman 2.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day