- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After directing In the Heights, Jon M. Chu is set to direct another movie musical.
The Crazy Rich Asians director will helm the feature adaptation of Wicked, replacing Stephen Daldry, who has long been attached to the movie and exited the project in October after the production timeline was adjusted and he was unable to commit to the new schedule.
Based on the Stephen Schwartz musical, the film is an alternative telling of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz and L. Frank Baum’s classic 1900 story of the same name, told from the perspective of the witches. Screenwriter Winnie Holsman and composer Schwarz are adapting the musical for the screen. Marc Platt is producing.
Wicked was set for a Dec. 22, 2021, release but was moved off of the Universal calendar following the COVID-19 theatrical and production shutdown. Another date has to be set.
Chu, who recently departed Disney+ series Willow, is represented by UTA, Artists First Inc and Goodman, Genow.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day