- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A version of this story first appeared in the Jan. 15 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.
The new year is a big one for actress-turned-college student Justine Bateman, 49, who will graduate in June from UCLA with a degree in computer science and management. “My Vikings class was super fun, and I have loved the computer science classes. Coding for me is like a boyfriend that makes you really upset and then you can’t get enough of him,” she tells THR.
Jokes aside, Bateman (who will be 50 by graduation and has documented her experience on Tumblr) is serious about her future and has her eyes set on returning to the industry.
“When I graduate, I will either run a division of a company that is tech and entertainment together, or I’ll get funding for my own company with a focus on taking current technology to film far more complicated stories,” she says. “The technology we have available is not being used, and we don’t have to tell stories in a line anymore. We can tell them in the shape of a tree. I can’t stand to see it not happen, and I’m going to make it happen.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day