- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Guillermo del Toro‘s monsters-vs-robots tentpole, Pacific Rim, has earned some degree of negative press and low tracking numbers prior to its stateside release. But, if marketers for the Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. release are in need of a movie blurb, they should look no further than Kanye West.
After a screening of Pacific Rim, West gave two thumbs up for the title in two tweets to his 9 million Twitter followers. “I saw a pre-screening of Pacific Rim yesterday and it’s easily one of my favorite movies of all time,” the Yeezus rapper wrote on Thursday. “This is not another ‘Robot’ movie. Guillermo del Toro is a master.”
Pacific Rim, which has a budget set at more than $180 million, has been described by some as the next potential Battleship-style disappointment during the Summer box office season. The film is set to open against Sony’s Adam Sandler comedy sequel Grown Ups 2 on July 12.
The film revolves around an alien invasion of Earth that forces humans to build giant robots called Jaegers to combat monsters called Kaiju. Television spot and trailers sell the movie with the line, “Go Big or Go Extinct.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day