- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Kate Winslet is headed to Pandora.
The actress is reuniting with Titanic director James Cameron as he works on his Avatar follow-ups, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. It is unclear how many of the four planned sequels to Cameron’s 2009 film Winslet will appear in.
The filmmaker is currently shooting Avatar 2 and 3 concurrently. Cameron plans to shoot 4 and 5 simultaneously soon after, which he recently spoke about in last week’s THR cover story. The production also recently announced seven young castmembers who are to play a big part in the sequels.
Winslet and Cameron made box-office history in 1997 when Titanic hit theaters. It went on to become an unprecedented success, raking in $2.1 billion worldwide to become the top-grossing film of all time — a record which stood until Avatar dethroned it.
Winslet can soon be seen in theaters in the survival thriller The Mountain Between Us, opposite Idris Elba and opening Thursday. She is also set to topline in Woody Allen’s upcoming feature Wonder Wheel for Amazon, which is due out in December.
20th Century Fox has scheduled Avatar 2 to open Dec. 18, 2020. It will be followed by Avatar 3 in 2021, Avatar 4 in 2024 and Avatar 5 in 2025.
Winslet is repped by CAA and the U.K.’s United.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day