- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
McCarthy is toplining the movie, which will shoot in March with McCarthy’s husband, Ben Falcone, in the director’s chair.
The script, written by McCarthy and Falcone alongside their Groundlings collaborator Steve Mallory, centers on a titan of industry who is sent to prison after she’s caught insider trading. When she emerges ready to re-brand herself as America’s latest sweetheart with the help of a former assistant, not everyone she screwed over is so quick to forgive and forget.
Bates will play McCarthy’s tough, wealthy and eccentric mentor, whom McCarthy’s character wants so badly to emulate.
Darnell will be produced by McCarthy and Falcone through their On the Day production company, as well as by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay through their Gary Sanchez Productions.
Gary Sanchez’s Chris Henchy will also produce, with Kevin Messick executive producing.
ICM-repped Bates, who is coming off of a Golden Globe nomination for her work on FX’s American Horror Story, worked with McCarthy on last summer’s comedy Tammy.
Senior vp production Erik Baiers and creative executive Chloe Yellin will oversee the project for Universal.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day