- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Russell, who stars on FX’s freshman spy drama The Americans, will take the lead female role in Fox’s sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which Reeves will direct. Already on board to star are Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke and Kodi Smit-McPhee.
While much of the plot has been kept under wraps, the film is set 15 years after the events of the hit 2011 film. It follows Caesar (Serkis), the intelligent ape who is trying to maintain dominance over his kingdom, and the scientists struggling to survive in San Francisco.
Peter Chernin, Dylan Clarke, Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa are producing the movie, which is working off a script by Mark Bomback. It’s set for release May 23, 2014.
Russell came to fame as the titular character on TV series Felicity, which ran from 1998 to 2002 on the WB Network and garnered her a Golden Globe. Before The Americans, she starred opposite Will Arnett on the Fox comedy Running Wilde, which ran for 13 episodes. She recently starred in horror pic Dark Skies.
Russell is repped by WME and the Burstein Co.
Email: Rebecca.Ford@thr.com; Twitter: @Beccamford
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day