- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Michael Stuhlbarg doesn’t blame Netflix for pulling the plug on Gore.
When Netflix shut down production of House of Cards on Nov. 3 in the wake of sexual harassment and assault allegations against Spacey, the streamer also said Gore, which was in postproduction at the time, would no longer be released.
Kevin Spacey stars in the title role of the Gore Vidal film with Stuhlbarg co-starring as the late writer’s longtime partner, Howard Austen.
“I understand what’s going on,” Stuhlbarg told The Hollywood Reporter at Wednesday’s L.A. premiere of his latest movie, The Shape of Water, adding, “Honestly, we all have some hope that perhaps … over time there will be a chance for people to see it in the light in which it was meant to be seen.”
Directed by Michael Hoffman and based on Jay Parini’s biography, Empire of Self: A Life of Gore Vidal, the movie also stars Douglas Booth as a young British writer befriended by Gore.
“I don’t know what will happen,” said Stuhlbarg, who will also be seen in the upcoming Call Me By Your Name and The Post. “When you work hard on something, you want people to see it. I think there’s a desire for us to maybe have that happen.”
Dozens of people have come forward alleging sexual misconduct by Spacey since Oct. 29, when Star Trek: Discovery‘s Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed that the Oscar winner was 26 years old when he acted inappropriately with him when he was just 14.
Spacey issued a statement claiming he didn’t remember the incident, but he also angered gay rights activists when he used the statement to come out as a gay man.
Earlier on Thursday, London’s The Old Vic released a report that says the theater company has learned of 20 personal allegations against Spacey that took place during his tenure as its artistic director, from 1995 to 2013.
Ridley Scott is expected to start reshooting Spacey’s scenes in All the Money in the World soon with Christopher Plummer replacing the embattled actor as J. Paul Getty.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day