- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Laura Dern is preparing for a literary hoax.
The Big Little Lies actress is in talks to join Kristen Stewart in JT Leroy, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Justin Kelly is directing from a script he wrote, based on the life rights of Savannah Knoop and her book Girl Boy Girl: How I Became JT LeRoy.
The film will recount the true story of the JT LeRoy hoax, in which a female writer pretended to be a man who identifies as transgender, tricking the rich and famous in Hollywood, the fashion world and elite literary circles. After six years, The New York Times revealed that Leroy was just a literary persona.
Dern is in talks for the role of Albert, who participated in the hoax as a friend named Speedie.
The actress, who is featured in Fox Searchlight’s comedy Wilson, adds JT Leroy to her upcoming slate, including Disney’s follow-up Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Jennifer Fox’s drama The Tale. Dern is repped by CAA and Untitled Entertainment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day