- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The uniforms for Space Jam: A New Legacy are far busier than those worn in the 1996 original starring Michael Jordan. James’ version features a blue and orange color scheme with Looney Tunes circles on the side.
— UNINTERRUPTED (@uninterrupted) August 18, 2020
With James in the lead role, the film features NBA stars Anthony Davis, Klay Thompson, Damian Lillard and Chris Paul, among others.
Legacy comes from director Malcolm D. Lee, known for helming Girls Trip and Night School. The latest draft of the script is from Black Panther filmmaker Ryan Coogler and Searching‘s Sev Ohanian. Space Jam: Legacy is James’ first starring movie role after earning praise for a supporting role in the 2015 Amy Schumer comedy Trainwreck.
In leaked audio, James gave an emotional speech to cast and crew when the Warner Bros. film wrapped, saying in part, “I’m super excited about this film. I grew up idolizing the whole Space Jam everything.”
Space Jam, starring Jordan, featured a number of cameos from NBA all-stars, Bill Murray, Wayne Knight and classic Looney Tunes characters such as Bugs Bunny. It earned more than $230 million globally.
Warner Bros. has Space Jam: Legacy dated to open July 16, 2021.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Big Thunder Mountain
Robert De Niro