- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – There’s an app for Divergent’s digital release.
The free Lionsgate-designed iOS app, available via the iTunes app store, includes extra content for Xfinity customers that buy the film through the Xfinity On Demand digital store.
News of the Comcast partnership comes two weeks ahead of Neil Burger’s Divergent, the Shailene Woodley-starring YA adaptation, being released on DVD and Blu-ray on Aug. 5.
“We have been working with Lionsgate and all of our studio partners to launch a product that allows producers, directors, writers, designers and engineers to explore and create next generation digital experiences that expand and extend the life of digital franchises across platforms for Xfinity customers,” said Matt Strauss, general manager and senior vp of video services at Comcast Cable in a statement Tuesday.
Xfinity customers will be the first to access Divergent movie scenes from multiple angles, and get 360-degree camera views of the red carpet premiere.
The first film of the series opened in March 2014 and grossed more than $267 million worldwide.
The second film in the franchise, Insurgent, is set to come out in 2015, while the third book of the series, Allegiant, will be split into two parts with the first opening in 2016.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day