- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Lionsgate has picked up the screen rights to Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, the best-seller written by Dr. Reza Aslan.
“Reza Aslan has written a remarkable book that manages to bring the ancient world into contemporary relief and to make a timeless story very timely,” said Lionsgate motion picture group’s president of production, Erik Feig. “We are excited to create this uniquely cinematic and immersive world for moviegoers to experience.”
The controversial book — which Publishers Weekly named as one of the year’s best
— looks at Jesus through a fresh set of eyes, examining the era as well as the man and how he, above other prophets of the period, ended up changing the world.
“[Liongate’s] vision for Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth is aligned with my objective in writing the book, which was to illuminate the life of Jesus in a humanistic, as opposed to religious, context,” said Aslan.
Feig, Liongate’s exec vp production Gillian Bohrer and creative exec James Myers will oversee the project’s development.
Aslan was repped by UTA, Cheney Literary and Bloom Hergott.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day