- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Rebecca Thomas is in early talks to direct Universal’s live-action Little Mermaid movie.
The film adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson’s fairy tale will be penned by Love Actually scribe Richard Curtis, and is set to star Chloe Grace Moretz as the titular character.
Thomas first gained attention for her 2012 indie Electrick Children, starring Julia Garner and Rory Culkin. Recently, she was tapped to direct the adaptation of the John Green’s beloved YA novel Looking For Alaska. The project is currently in pre-production.
Last year, THR named Thomas one of ten of the next generation of great Hollywood directors.
Sofia Coppola was previously attached to direct The Little Mermaid but left the project in June due to creative differences with the studio.
Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner will produce under their Working Title Films banner, with Liza Chasin and Amelia Granger set to executive produce. EVP of production Erik Baiers and director of development Chloe Yellin will oversee the project for Universal.
Thomas is represented by CAA, Principato-Young Entertainment and Hansen Jacobson.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Red Sea Film Festival