- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
John Woo is remaking his classic action movie, The Killer, this time giving it a female twist.
Lupita Nyong’o is in negotiations to star in the new project, which hails from Universal, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Woo will direct the movie, and will also produce with eOne’s Mark Gordon (Source Code, Saving Private Ryan) and Matt Jackson. Luc Etienne will executive produce.
Describes by Universal as a “blistering thriller that blends espionage with extraordinary stunts,” the remake centers on an assassin who is sworn to protect a young woman she accidentally blinded during a mob hit years prior.
The original movie, made in 1989, was a landmark in the action genre. It helped introduce Woo to Western audiences and also continued to cement the star status of Chow Yun-Fat, who toplined as the assassin. Nyong’o will now slip into the role for the 21st century version.
Production vp Sara Scott will oversee for Universal.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day