- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Robert Rodriguez‘s Machete Kills will have its world premiere when it opens Fantastic Fest 2013 in Austin.
The film will screen Sept. 19 at the new Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline location, with Rodriguez and stars Danny Trejo and Alexa Vega in attendance. Additional talent will be announced as the festival nears.
“Every year we compile our dream targets for opening-night film; Machete Kills was at the top of that list,” said Fantastic Fest co-founder and creative director Tim League in the announcement. “We are going to pull out all the stops to ensure Robert’s world premiere red carpet experience is literally blood red.”
With a screenplay by Kyle Ward and based on a story by Rodriguez and his younger brother Marcel Rodriguez, Machete Kills reunites audiences with Trejo’s ex-Federale agent, who is recruited by the president to take down a madman revolutionary. The film also stars Michelle Rodriguez, Sofia Vergara, Amber Heard, Charlie Sheen, Lady Gaga, Antonio Banderas, Jessica Alba, Demian Bichir, Vanessa Hudgens and Cuba Gooding Jr.
In June, Open Road Films announced that Rodriguez’s sequel to 2010’s Machete would shift from a Sept. 13 release date to Oct. 4.
Fantastic Fest will run through Sept. 26.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day