Film festival director Marco Mueller has resigned from his position at the International Film Festival and Awards – Macao, organizers announced Sunday.
The news comes as a surprise as the inaugural edition of the festival is due to open in less than a month on Dec. 8. A press conference is scheduled to take place Monday in Macau to announce the lineup.
No reason was given as to Mueller’s departure from the fest. Mueller could not be reached for comment.
In an email sent from the IFFAM Secretariat Office, organizers said all the films invited and confirmed by Mueller would continue to be part of the event.
“With a professional team to handle the execution of the festival, we will honor all the previous commitments for the highest level of quality of an international film festival for all the films and filmmakers, and film industry events presented at the festival,” said the statement.
The Macau Films & Television Productions and Culture Association states that the Secretariat will assume all responsibilities of the festival director and that this incident will not affect the organization of the festival as planned.
Mueller has previously served as the head of Venice, Rome, Locarno, Beijing and Fuzhou Silk Road film festivals.