- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Is one member of the Avengers getting short shrift in the toy aisle?
Mark Ruffalo, who plays the Hulk in the forthcoming blockbuster Avengers: Age of Ultron, took to Twitter on Wednesday to convince Marvel that Black Widow fans should have more items to choose from in stores.
“Marvel, we need more Black Widow merchandise for my daughters and nieces,” Ruffalo wrote, referring to the character played by Scarlett Johansson in the film series. “Pretty please.”
This isn’t the first time Black Widow has found herself at the center of media attention lately. On April 23, Ruffalo’s Avengers co-stars Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner apologized for having referred to the character as a “slut” and a “whore” in an interview.
Ruffalo’s tweet comes as studios seem more focused on developing franchises featuring female protagonists. Sony is set to release Paul Feig‘s all-female Ghostbusters film in July 2016 and has hired writers for a female-fronted 21 Jump Street spinoff.
Avengers: Age of Ultron, hitting theaters May 1, was directed by Joss Whedon and also stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth and James Spader. Ruffalo’s tweet can be seen below.
— Mark Ruffalo (@MarkRuffalo) April 29, 2015
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day