- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
No, this is not part of a viral marketing campaign.
Twitter accounts for some of Marvel Studios’ upcoming films were hacked Wednesday, with the group OurMine taking responsibility.
Accounts for Marvel Entertainment’s main Twitter handle, as well as its Avengers, Black Panther, Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor franchises fell victim. Shorlty after 9 a.m. PT, they began tweeting messages such as, “Hey, it’s OurMine, Don’t worry we are just testing your security, contact us to help you with your security email@example.com.”
As of 9:50 a.m., the tweets had been deleted and it appeared Marvel had regained control of its accounts.
“We’re investigating and taking immediate action to remedy the situation,” Marvel said in a statement.
The hacker group has frequently targeted high-profile accounts over the past year, including Netflix’s Twitter account earlier Wednesday. In September, the group gained access to Variety magazine’s website and email system, sending multiple messages to subscribers with the subject line “Hacked by #OurMine.”
Dec. 21, 1:17 p.m.: Updated with statement from Marvel.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day