- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Golden Globe-winning actor Matt Bomer (The Normal Heart) has signed on to star in Papi Chulo, the new film from Handsome Devil director John Butler.
In the black comedy, which U.K. sales outfit Bankside Films will launch to international buyers in Berlin next week, the Magnificent Seven and Magic Mike alumnus will play a lonely TV weatherman who strikes up an unusual friendship with a middle-aged Latino migrant worker, played by The Runaways’ Alejandro Patino.
Rob Walpole and Rebecca O’Flanagan are producing Papi Chulo for Treasure Entertainment, with backing from the Irish Film Board, Head Gear Films, RTE and Windmill Lane. Head Gear Films’ Phil Hunt and Compton Ross are executive producing together with Bankside’s Hilary Davis and Stephen Kelliher.
Butler’s first two features, 2013’s The Stag and 2016’s Handsome Devil, both premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. Handsome Devil was picked up by Netflix.
John Butler is represented by ICM Partners and Independent Talent in the U.K.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Big Thunder Mountain
Robert De Niro