- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Doctor is headed to a very different galaxy.
Doctor Who star Matt Smith is in talks to join Star Wars: Episode IX, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Smith starred on Doctor Who from 2010-13, and has earned an Emmy nomination for his work on Netflix’s The Crown for his role as Prince Philip.
Smith joins a sprawling cast for Star Wars: Episode IX, including Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo and Billie Lourd.
The film, which began production this month, also includes franchise newcomers Naomi Ackie, Logan actor Richard E. Grant, Keri Russell and Dominic Monaghan, while returning original Star Wars castmembers include Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels and Billy Dee Williams. The late actress Carrie Fisher will appear as Leia with unused footage from 2015’s The Force Awakens.
J.J. Abrams is directing Episode IX, which Lucasfilm and Disney have slated to open Dec. 20, 2019.
Smith is repped by UTA. Variety first reported the news.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day