- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Much of the animated feature’s details are being kept in the dark (un-illuminated, shall we say) but it is described as a music-driven event comedy tackling courage, competition and carrying a tune.
It is not known what kind of character McConaughey will lend his pipes to.
Garth Jennings, the man who wrote and directed the indie drama Son of Rambow and directed 2005’s The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, wrote the script and is directing. Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy are producing.
The movie has a release date of Dec. 21, 2016.
This is a rare animated outing for McConaughey, who has Interstellar in theatres and is pre-production on The Free State of Jones, a drama being directed by Gary Ross. The only other time the actor has done voice work in animation is for Kubo and the Two Strings. The Laike Entertainment movie is currently in production with an eye towards an August 2016 release date
McConaughey is repped by CAA, WME for commercial and voice, and Morris Yorn.
Universal and Illumination’s next film is Minions, with sees Sandra Bullock and Jon Hamm leading the voice cast, and will hit theaters on July 10, 2015.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day