- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Second time’s the charm?
We’re not saying it’s a home run, but the new trailer for Max Steele is a masterpiece compared to the international trailer that electrified Twitter (and not in a good way) earlier this month.
The live-action film based on the Mattel toy line centers on teen gamer Max McGrath (Ben Winchell) who bonds with a cybernetic alien called Steel in order to discover the truth about the death of Max’s father and the origins of Max’s superpowers. He’s got to handle his new friend while also navigating high school (girls make him nervous) and an alien threat that puts the world in peril (that seems more important than talking to girls).
The movie has had a bit of a winding road. It was shot in 2014, with Open Road closing a deal that year to distribute the movie for a 2015 release. It was pushed back and is now set for a Oct. 14.
For those curious, here’s the international trailer that generated negative buzz earlier this month.
Aug. 31, 2:49 p.m. An earlier version of this story included an incorrect release date. THR regrets the error.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day