- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The redo of the 1982 classic will be marketed and distributed worldwide by 20th Century Fox, with some international territories as well as international television distribution being handled by MGM. Fox will also handle home entertainment and domestic television.
The move extends MGM and Fox’s longtime partnership as Fox also distributes MGM’s home entertainment product.
Gil Kenan (Monster House) is set to direct Poltergeist from a screenplay by Pulitzer Prize-winning writer David Lindsay-Abaire, whose recent credits include Oz: The Great and Powerful.
Dubbed a revisionist take on the original film, the new story centers on a family struggling to make ends meet that relocates to an outdated suburban home and is confronted by an angry spirit who kidnaps their youngest daughter and challenges them to band together to rescue her from the clutches of evil.
Production is scheduled to begin production in the fall.
Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert are producing via Ghost House Pictures alongside with Roy Lee. Nathan Kahane is executive producing.
Email: Tatiana.Siegel@THR.com, Twitter: @TatianaSiegel27
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day