- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Black List writer Umair Aleem has been tapped to pen the sequel of Mile 22, the upcoming feature that is the latest team-up for Mark Wahlberg and director Peter Berg.
Mile 22, which is set to hit theaters Aug. 17, follows an elite American intelligence officer who, aided by a top-secret tactical command unit, tries to smuggle a mysterious police officer with sensitive information out of the country. Along with Wahlberg, the action-thriller stars Ronda Rousey, John Malkovich and Lauren Cohan.
Plot details for the follow-up are being kept under wraps.
While sequel plans may seem premature, STX has always plotted Mile 22 as a cross-platform franchise, spanning film, television and VR. The studio has already worked to parlay its successful Bad Moms movies into other mediums, even developing an unscripted series based on the female-fronted comedies with Fox.
Aleem penned the script for the action movie Kate, which was featured on the 2017 Black List before it sold to Netflix, and was recently tapped to adapt the 1990s comic book series Danger Girl for Bolt Pictures. He is repped by Verve, Madhouse Entertainment and Felker Toczek.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day