- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Universal has decided on a new release date for Illumination’s delayed family animated tentpole Minions: The Rise of Gru: July 2, 2021, exactly a year after it was originally set to hit the big screen.
Wednesday’s announcement was among several moves made by the studio as it continued to reshuffle its release calendar due to the far-reaching impact of the coronavirus pandemic, including unprecedented theater closures and disruptions in the production and postproduction processes.
Illumination’s Sing 2 — which was originally set to open on July 2, 2021, Gru‘s new home — is being pushed back to Dec. 22, 2021, which in turn leaves Wicked homeless for the time being.
Last month, Universal and Illumination said it would prove impossible to finish needed postproduction work on Rise of Gru in time for its early July release date since they were closing the Illumination Mac Guff studio in Paris.
Delaying Sing 2‘s release provides cushion for Illumination and Universal, since no one is sure when moviegoing and production will return to business as usual.
Universal said Wicked — the long-gestating film adaptation of the Broadway musical of the same name — will be redated at a later time.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day