- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Matthew Quick’s book The Reason You’re Alive has been optioned by Miramax, with Allison Shearmur set to produce.
The story follows a Vietnam war vet who, following a brain surgery, must atone for a decades-old injustice in order to reconnect with his peace-loving art dealer son.
Harper, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, will publish the book in 2017.
Shearmur, who has acted as an executive producer on the Hunger Games series and is a producer on the upcoming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, will produce the project, with Stephen Meinen overseeing development and production for Allison Shearmur Productions. David Thwaites will oversee for Miramax.
“The Reason You’re Alive is an incredibly touching and witty novel written by the immensely talented Matthew Quick. His gift for characters and storytelling is exceptional and there was no doubt from the moment that we finished the read that we wanted to bring Matthew’s book to the big screen,” said Zanne Devine, Miramax’s head of film and TV.
Quick’s other book, Silver Linings Playbook, was adapted by David O. Russell for the screen, and went on to garner several Oscar nominations and wins. His YA novel, Sorta Like a Rockstar, is being adapted by Fox Searchlight.
Quick is repped by ICM.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day