- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The unending battle for the most viewed trailer in 24 hours rages on — now with a new victor.
The first teaser trailer for the upcoming adaption of Stephen King’s It was released just ahead of Warner Bros.’ CinemaCon presentation Wednesday — and in its first 24 hours, it haunted the waking dreams of those on the internet, racking up 197 million views across platforms.
In a single day, the New Line production had 81 million views on Facebook alone, and the trailer held the No. 1 spot on YouTube’s trending videos. Now, after 48 hours online, the trailer has 246 million views.
The killer clown Pennywise helped dethrone The Fate of the Furious: Fast 8, which revved up to 139 million views in its first 24 hours, beating out Beauty and the Beast‘s previous record of 127.6 million.
It is directed by Andres Muschietti and follows seven children who are terrorized by a being that exploits the fears of its victims, most often taking the form of Pennywise the clown in order to lure young children into the sewer.
It hits theaters on Sept. 8.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day