- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Natalie Portman is in negotiations to portray Ruth Bader Ginsburg in On the Basis of Sex, a biopic of the U.S. Supreme Court Justice.
Marielle Heller, who wrote and directed the Sundance movie Diary of a Teenage Girl, is in negotiations to direct while Focus Features is in negotiations to finance and to distribute in North America.
Ginsburg, appointed by President Bill Clinton, is the second woman to serve on the country’s top court and the first female Jewish justice.
Daniel Stiepleman wrote the script, which was on the 2014 Black List and tells Ginsburg’s story spanning her whole legal career.
Robert W. Cort is producing the project packaged by CAA, which is repping distribution rights. Ram Bergman is exec producing.
It is not yet decided when Portman would shoot the project since she is also in early talks to star in Alex Garland’s post-Ex Machina thriller Annihilation. That movie is looking at an early 2016 start.
Portman next heads to Cannes with the Jewish-Palestinian drama A Tale of Love and Darkness, which she wrote, directed and stars in.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day