- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Portman’s character gets emotional when her husband (Oscar Isaac) returns home after 12 months, but he’s impassive, barely responding to her when she kisses him.
Readers of the adaptation of the acclaimed sci-fi novel from Jeff VanderMeer will know that when a person returns from their missions … they aren’t quite themselves.
She presses him for details of his mission.
“I don’t know where it was, or what it was,” he says.
He drinks from water, and she sees blood on his glass. Soon, he’s in an ambulance, spitting up blood as she attempts to comfort him, and government black-ops SUVs surround the ambulance, as does a chopper.
Cut to Portman’s character in some sort of quarantine, looking at her dying husband. She learns that there’s an area of the United States in which an unexplainable phenomenon is occurring. No one has come back, except for the husband — and now Portman’s character will join a mission to find out why.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day