- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Netflix has acquired social media documentary The American Meme.
The doc, written and directed by Bert Marcus, explores the journeys of four distinct social media influencers — Paris Hilton, Josh Ostrovsky (aka The Fat Jewish), Brittany Furlan and Kirill Bichutsky — as they build empires out of their online footprints and rebrand the American dream.
DJ Khaled, Hailey Baldwin and Emily Ratajkowski also appear in the film, which premiered earlier this year at the Tribeca Film Festival and will be released globally on Netflix in December 2018.
Marcus and Cassandra Thornton produced with Hilton acting as exec producer.
Marcus, whose producer credits include docs Teenage Paparazzo and How to Make Money Selling Drugs, previously worked with the streamer on feature What We Started.
The American Meme is the latest doc acquisition for Netflix, which recently picked up Theo Love’s The Legend of Cocaine Island.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day