- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After two trailers that offered a more comedic peek at this summer’s Guardians of the Galaxy, the new international trailer offers a more somber tone, brand new footage and a complete lack of earworm golden oldies.
“If we don’t protect the galaxy, who will?” asks Chris Pratt’s Peter Quill in the surprisingly serious trailer, which also offers a glimpse at his origin story — “I was only a kid when I left Earth, and I had no idea what the universe had in store for me,” he monologues — as well as John C. Reilly and Glenn Close discussing the danger facing the galaxy.
The new trailer also gives Zoe Saldana’s Gamora her first chance to be heard (yes, somehow we heard a talking raccoon and tree man before the female lead of the movie) and again plays down the villains of the piece, beyond some more foreboding silent appearances by Ronan (Lee Pace) and Nebula (Karen Gillen).
For those concerned about the prospect of an entirely serious Guardians trailer, don’t worry: By the time you get to the end, the interaction between Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and Quill offers some comedy to brighten an unusually grim look at the movie, which opens in the U.S. Aug. 1.
Watch the trailer, released by Marvel U.K., below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Woman King