- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sonic is back—after a quick CGI makeover.
From the looks of the new trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog, the movie debut of Sega’s iconic speedster, the filmmakers have listened to fans and tweaked the character’s CGI design to be more in keeping with the video game original.
The film’s original trailer dropped in April, and led to a deluge of mockery and fan backlash on social media for the way Sonic looked. The reaction was so negative it led to the film’s director Jeff Fowler announcing that his team would rethink Sonic’s design, all of which led to a three-month delay to the release date.
All that extra work seems to have been worth it, however, as fans will be pleased to see that Sonic’s eyes are now bigger and closer together, his head is bigger, he has fewer teeth and he is also sporting his white gloves. Overall, Sonic looks more familiar and, well, more kawaii.
Ben Schwartz voices Sonic while James Marsden and Jim Carrey also star in live-action roles in the Paramount film.
Originally set to hit theaters Nov. 8, the new and improved Sonic will be on release Feb. 14, 2020.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day