- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
New Video has acquired the rights to Jose Padilha‘s Elite Squad: The Enemy Within, which it has scheduled for theatrical release through its Flatiron Film Company label in the U.S. and Canada in October. Digital, VOD, DVD and television roll-out will follow in early 2012.
The Brazilian crime thriller, starring Wagner Moura and Seu Jorge, is the country’s most successful film of the last 30 years, grossing $70 million domestically (it was titled Elite Squad 2 there). It played Stateside at the Sundance Film Festival in January. Padilha wrote the screenplay with Braulio Mantovani (City of God).
Zazen Producoes produced the film along with Marcos Prado. James D’Arcy and Leonardo Edde are executive producers. IM Global’s Anthem division is handling international sales.
Padilha was recently brought on to direct MGM’s reboot of RoboCop.
New Video has recently released Gasland, Waste Land and, on digital, Restrepo.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day