- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Justin Lin‘s untitled Bourne film will open in theaters Aug. 14, 2015. The next chapter in the action-spy franchise returns Jeremy Renner in the role of Aaron Cross following the 2012 box office success of The Bourne Legacy.
It’s the first time Lin has directed a Bourne pic for Universal. He’s most famous for directing the Fast & Furious movies, but isn’t at the helm of Fast & Furious 7, which has become shrouded in tragedy following the death of Paul Walker in a car crash during a hiatus from shooting.
Longtime Bourne producer Frank Marshall is returning for the next installment, and will produce alongside Jeffrey Weiner and Ben Smith for Captivate. Lin will also produce for his Perfect Storm Entertainment.
Inspired by author Robert Ludlum‘s book series, the Bourne film franchise underwent a major transformation with the departure of star Matt Damon and arrival of Renner in the lead role in The Bourne Legacy.
Universal also announced a Aug. 8, 2014 release date for Luc Besson‘s Lucy, starring Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman. The action-thriller, produced by Virginie Besson-Silla and Besson’s EuropaCorp, follows a woman who turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day