- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Principal photography on the drama about the NSA whistleblower, the subject of Oscar-winning documentary Citizenfour, is currently underway in Germany. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has already been confirmed as playing the title role of Edward Snowden, with Shailene Woodley as his girlfriend. Cage will play a former U.S. intelligence officer.
The thriller is based on Luke Harding‘s book The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World’s Most Wanted Man, which chronicles Snowden’s move from Hawaii to Hong Kong, where he handed over the NSA documents to journalist Glenn Greenwald, and Time of the Octopus, the upcoming novel from the whistleblower’s Russian lawyer Anatoly Kucherena, telling the story about Snowden’s time waiting for the government in Moscow to grant his asylum.
Paris-based Pathé Films has developed the project with Stone’s long-time producing partner Moritz Borman and has retained distribution rights for France and Benelux. Wild Bunch is handling international sales in all other territories, with Open Road Films and Endgame Entertainment partnering for the U.S. release. The film is being produced by Borman, Eric Kopeloff and Philip Schulz-Deyle.
Snowden will be released in the U.S. on Dec. 25.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day