- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Paperboy is running into some delivery issues.
The drama, being directed by Precious helmer Lee Daniels, was to have starred Matthew McConaughey, Zac Efron, Tobey Maguire and Sofia Vergara, with production scheduled to begin later this summer.
But Maguire dropped out of the project last week, throwing a wrench into the proceedings and causing the shoot to be pushed back. The delay then intruded on Vergara’s Modern Family shooting schedule, prompting her to drop out of Paperboy on Friday.
But the producers are acting quickly to buttress up the cast and are now in talks with Nicole Kidman to step into Vergara’s shoes. McConaughey and Efron are still in at this point.
Paperboy centers on a reporter and his brother who investigate the events surrounding a murder in order to exonerate a man on death row. Kidman, if her deal can be made, will play a woman with a dark side who writes letters to men on death row. She brings the case to the attention of the reporter, developing a relationship with him.
Kidman, repped by CAA and Media Talent Group, recently wrapped production on Hemingway and Gellhorn, HBO Films’ romancer in which she plays war correspondent Martha Gellhorn to Clive Owen’s Ernest Hemingway.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Silent Twins