- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After a week of big announcements timed around New York Comic Con, Dynamite Entertainment today revealed that it has partnered with DreamWorks Classics to relaunch some Gold Key Comics favorites. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter; Solar: Man of the Atom; Magnus: Robot Fighter; and Doctor Spektor will appear in a new line of comics next year.
The comics will be written by some well-known names. Batman/Superman and Action Comics‘ Greg Pak will take on Turok. Frank Barbiere — a newcomer known for his critically acclaimed Image Comics series Five Ghosts — will write Solar. G.I. Joe‘s Fred Van Lente will handle Magnus. And Mark Waid — who has written almost all of DC and Marvel’s major characters at some point in his career — will revive Doctor Spektor.
The commercial peak for the Gold Key characters was likely their 1990s revival by Valiant Comics, although they also enjoyed a more recent run from Dark Horse Comics headlined by former Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. Dynamite’s CEO and publisher, Nick Barrucci, said that “longtime fans can rest assured — their beloved heroes are in capable hands,” describing the writing collective as a “dream team of creators.”
The new line is set to launch in February 2014 and will be available digitally and in comic book stores.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day