- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Addressing reporters about the so-called budget sequestration that would gut government spending at midnight, Obama said that he could not force Congress to pass a bill to prevent the cuts’ implementation. He is a president, he said, not a dictator, and can’t use a “Jedi mind meld” to force Republicans’ hands.
Obama, in an effort to turn government mechanics into a digestible pop culture reference, actually combined the term, “Jedi mind trick,” from Star Wars, and the “Vulcan mind meld,” which comes from Star Trek. Predictably, Twitter exploded with laughter and snark (see below).
Obama is actually a vocal and longtime Trek fan and hosted original series star Nichelle Nichols at the White House in early 2012; the pair gave the famed Vulcan salute in a photo released by the administration. Earlier this year, the White House officially declined a petition asking it to build a Death Star, a staple of the Star Wars mythology.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day