- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Stars are speaking out against the NSA.
The spot draws a link between modern-day surveillance and that of former President Richard Nixon, who used to keep tabs on his political enemies and the press.
“It was wrong then, and it’s wrong now,” Cusack says in the spot. “The tools for surveillance have never been more powerful and the threat to our civil liberties have never been greater.”
The PSA is leading up to the Stop Watching Us: Rally Against Mass Surveillance being held in Washington, D.C., on Saturday. The rally will coincide with the 12th anniversary of the signing of the Patriot Act.
“History tells us we need to watch the watchers,” Stone says, with Cusack adding, “and in the surveillance state, democracy itself is dead.”
The PSA was produced by the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Luminant Media.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day