- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Snow Piercer, which Joon-Ho co-scripted, is set in a future where, after a failed experiment to stop global warming, an Ice Age kills off all life on the planet except for the inhabitants of the Snow Piercer, a train that travels around the globe and is powered by a sacred perpetual-motion engine. A class system evolves on the train but a revolution brews.
Spencer plays a passenger on the train who joins the revolt in order to save her son.
Chan Wook-Park and Dooho Choi are producing. Kelly Masterson wrote the most recent draft for this adaptation of the 1970s French graphic novel Le Transperceneige.
Spencer is riding an awards season wave of acclaim for her work in The Help. So far she’s won a Broadcast Film Critics Award, a Golden Globe and a SAG Award for her portrayal of maid Minny Jackson in the adaptation of the Kathryn Stockett novel. She’s considered the favorite to win the Oscar.
Spencer next shoots Mandate’s untitled Diablo Cody project, which begins production in March, then moves to Snow Piercer at the end of April.
Spencer is repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day