- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
MEXICO CITY — Academy Award nominee Demian Bichir is making his directorial debut with the indie love story Refugio.
Best known for his Oscar-nominated performance in the immigration-themed A Better Life, Bichir is branching out into directing and screenwriting for Refugio, which tells the story of a young man who leaves behind his circus family to search for a long lost love.
BN Films, the production company of Alex Garcia and Lucas Akoskin, are co-producing Refugio with Escarabajo Productions, the shingle owned by Bichir’s brother, Bruno Bichir. Shooting begins this fall in the U.S. and Mexico.
Mary Vernieu (Silver Linings Playbook, Black Swan) is on board as casting director. Talent will be announced later.
Represented by CAA, Mexican-born Bichir has become a hot commodity as a result of last year’s Oscar nomination. Up next, he’ll be co-starring in Fox’s The Heat, FX’s The Bridge and Open Road’s Machete Kills.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day