- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A few lip colors made a decent showing on the Oscars carpet on Sunday — classic red, for one. Nude and coral, for others. But berry-hued puckers seemed to be the boldest and sexiest option on the red carpet tonight, and Gregory Arlt, MAC Cosmetics’ director of makeup artistry, agrees, confirming to Pret-a-Reporter that the dark hues are indeed the hottest trend in makeup right now.
“We are definitely going deep this spring,” he said by phone on Oscars Sunday. “Berry lips are a richer take on classic red. Everyone wants to take a bite of ripe fruit, so why not wear a kissable pout this season?”
Emma Watson is an early convert, having sported the trend last year, and bringing it out again on Oscars night. Her blackberry lipstick almost matched her dark Vera Wang floor-length gown, giving her a charming and youthful edge. Margot Robbie, clad in Saint Laurent, also went for a dark pout, embracing her entirely dramatic new raven-dyed locks and heavy brows with blueberry/deep purple lips.
Kerry Washington, too, used an inky, full-body wine shade to contrast her purple Jason Wu maternity gown. To keep things drama free, she kept her face fresh and glowing with just a light touch of mascara, allowing the lips to be the true star of the cosmetic’s show.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day